new header

September 8, 2026

The 2026 BYU BIFF

-- I know I'm late, but it was always Legend. Always. 

Ladies and gentlemen, get ready to start your BIFFs. If you don't know what that means, please, pat yourself on the back.

What is the BIFF you might wonder? BIFF stands for the Best Incoming Freshman Footballer and is a title bestowed annually upon the Cougar newcomer I project to have the best freshman season. The selection process is highly scientific: after dutifully patrolling Twitter and Cougarboard throughout fall camp, investigating each film of practice in the name of Zapruder, and ignoring all of KSL's horrendous articles, I pick a few blades of grass, mash them in a bowl, and like Rafiki before me toss the remnants into the wind as I bestow the title of BIFF on my chosen Freshman.


But that's only part of the equation. Dumb things like appearance (yes for afros, no for mustaches), jersey number (#11 is my favorite), what high school did they attend (Granger alums advance automatically to semi-final consideration), and what nicknames could they develop matter to me more than they should, which is how I could once award the 2007 BIFF to Mitch Payne instead of Harvey Unga, or the 2014 BIFF to Trey Dye instead of Fred Warner. But hey what's the fun in being right?

As Rafiki once said, "It is time". As usual we'll address the candidates who didn't make the cut before dramatically revealing this year's BIFF.

For past BIFF installments, please reference the below.

Important note: for the first time ever, I am excluding redshirt freshman from this list. We talked about them last year. Let's get to it.


Tier I - Your Name Sounds Better Than Your Game
S Seth Shigg - I'm not sure I ever understood why we said, "You just got Shmev'd" but I can certainly get on board with saying, "You just got Shigged." That feels like something that would happen to you in prison, or possibly in a military campaign, and wouldn't you know it but Seth Shigg joins BYU from Army. That's right, Army, not the Army. Just like our old pal Buster.



LB Owen Cyborg - Yes, technically there is no "Cy" in front of his last name, but humor me. Owen served his mission in Sweden, which is a global hub for voluntary human microchip implants. I'm serious! Check out this article! Here's the first paragraph:

"By day there were tech entrepreneurs, students, web designers and IT consultants - but that night they were going to be transformed into cyborgs."

Did Owen get microchipped while on his mission? Impossible to say. If so I hope it was with some sort of football IQ processing power. But either way his nickname is foreordained.

WR Terrance Saryon - With just a little bit of Steve Rushin magic we can rearrange the letters in Terrance's name to form the name "Terrnc On Ya Arse". I initially thought Terrance was a defensive back, and imagine being a defensive back and your last name is "On Ya Arse". It would have been perfect.


Tier II - Your Name Sounds Worse Than Your Game
S Antonio Johnson - I do not like anything that reminds me of the San Antonio Spurs.

WR Asher Young - Behold, the recipient of the 2026 "Most BYU Name" award. The competition was quite fierce this season, but Asher held off Gage Tanner, Josh Davis, and Matthew Fredrick to take home the coveted title.

LB Blake Lowe - I am reminded of Blake Lively, my once TV girlfriend who has been embroiled in controversy the last few years, to such a degree that Taylor Swift has reportedly left her by the wayside. I wanted to believe in Blake, but once Taylor took a stance, the truth was apparent. I'm hoping Blake Lowe will bring honor back to the name.


Tier III - The First Person in BYU History Who Is Smaller Than Me
RB Journee Tonga - Hat tip to Cougarboard profile TarCoug who took the below pic after lucking into some amazing tickets for the SUU game. I now know what I would have looked like standing amongst the giants. Size be darned, I believe in you Tonga. I saw Emmitt Smith do it. Why not you?



Tier IV- I like Your Relatives

DL Adney Reid - Son of the former TE Gabe Reid, this kid could become the best defender in BYU history and your dad will still call him Andy Reid instead of Adney Reid.

CB Justice Brathwaite - Son of the former RB Reynaldo Brathwaite, this kid could become the best defender in BYU history and your dad will still call him Justin instead of Justice.

Tier V- I'm excited about you because ...
DB Kennan Pula - Because you made the greatest high school catch I've ever seen.  

LB Matthew Mason - Because your high school stats give poor man's Kyle Van Noy vibes.
313 total tackles
25 total tackles for loss
4 sacks
4 interceptions
31 pass breakups
500 kickoff return yards
Two fumble recovery touchdowns
6 blocked kicks
10 forced fumbles in career

DL Braxton Lindsey - Because Kelly Poppinga has been hyping you up all offseason. (TBD if Kelly has as bad of takes as his brother Brady.)

OL Bott Mulitalo - Because your "Also Recruited By" profile lists Oregon, Miami, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and USC.

RB Devaughn Eka - Because the spelling of your first name makes you an instant fit in this state. And because apparently you're a time traveler, having helped Lehi win state in 2024 and 2002. If you have the power to go back to 2002 will you please make a stop at Granger High School and stop me from pissing on those Utah tickets and starting a decade-long curse? Thank you.




Tier VI - The BIFF
WR Legend Glasker - Sometimes a name makes the BIFF quest too obvious, you know? Kingsley Suamataia was bound to do King things. Bear was bound to do Bear things. Legend is following suit, doing legend things, posting three TDs in his debut and reaching the point that I tapped Devon on the shoulder every time I saw Legend on the field. "He's in the slot." "He's in motion." "Legend sighting on the right boundary." Normally I would have worried that I was annoying the people sitting in front of me, but thanks to Mikey's magical portal seats there was, for the first time in my BYU life, not a fan in front of me. 

Even without the name, Legend was the obvious pick from the moment my friend attended fall camp and came back with the report from Fesi that, "Legend is absolutely starting this season and is a stud."

Was Legend's debut the best in freshman history? No, let's chill out on that front. Daniel Coats posted 93 yards and 2 TDs in his first game against Georgia Tech. Harvey Unga had 194 yards and 2 TDs in his first game against Arizona. Luke Staley had 95 yards and 2 TDs in his first game against Washington. Each of those performances mean more to me than walloping Utah Tech. But Legend has something none of those guys ever enjoyed. The title of BIFF.

Enjoy it sir. Make us proud.


-- Prior Year Predictions --

2025: I picked Bear Bachmeier ... good (and obvious) pick
2024: I picked Ryner Swanson ... prob shoulda picked Faletau Satuala
2023: I picked Raider Damuni ... shoulda picked LJ Martin
2022: I picked Kingsley Suamataia ... good pick
2021: I picked Chase Roberts ... shoulda picked Ben Bywater
2020: I picked Kody Epps ... shoulda picked Isaac Rex
2019: I picked Harris LaChance ... shoulda picked Payton Wilgar
2018: I picked Dallin Holker ... shoulda picked Zach Wilson
2017: I picked Matt Manbush ... good pick
2016: I picked Keiffer Longson ... shoulda picked Dayan Lake
2015: I picked Burt and Bernie ... shoulda picked Tanner Mangum
2014: I picked Trey Dye (woof) ... shoulda picked Fred Warner
2013: I picked Dallin Leavitt ... shoulda picked Kyle Johnson
2012: I picked Bronson Kaufusi ... shoulda picked Jamaal Williams
2011: I picked nobody11. Due to what seemed an all-time bad recruiting class. ... shoulda picked Daniel Sorenson
2010: I picked Jake Heaps ... shoulda picked Cody Hoffman 
2009: I picked Craig Bills ... good pick
2008: I picked O'neill Chambers ... shoulda picked Matt Reynolds
2007: I picked Mitch Payne ... shoulda picked Harvey Unga
2006: I picked McKay Jacobsen ... good pick
2005: I picked Kyle Luekenga ... shoulda picked Ray Feinga
2004: I picked Austin Collie ... best pick

No comments:

Post a Comment