new header

May 9, 2020

BYU Fantasy Draft Round 8

-- The battle for weird, featuring a tourism degree, Fui's hair, and Bronco on Tinder

Round 8 Recap

8.1 Mitchell Juergens (drafted by Magathisll)

I believe names have predictive power. Therefore I made many jokes when I heard BYU signed Mitchell Juergens, an alleged pass catcher whose last name is a product intended to make your hands slippery. I reasoned that if Tejan Koroma's name made me think of TKOs and he in fact TKO'd many an opponent; if Luke Staley's last name reminded me of a stallion and he in fact raced his way into the history books; if Kevin Fowler's last name made me think of someone messing up, and he in fact fowled up play after play; if Dick Felt reminded me of ... uh, never mind.

The point is I couldn't believe a wide receiver who was named after a lotion could have reliable, sticky hands. I expected a parade of drops, but I was wrong! Juergens' hands weren't slippery, he was! Juergens was never deployed as a primary target, but he was an awesome third banana, rarely missing games and routinely churning out 30 catches, 400 yards, and a few TDs during each of his three seasons. Numbers like that would lead our team these days.


8.2 Fui Vakapuna (drafted by Devon “Lasersheep” Smith)

Fans love players who try hard and Fui always tried hard, regardless his role. His coaches loved it too. They awarded him the Leon White Award for Unselfish Devotion as a junior and the Robbie Bosco Award for Determination as a senior (yes, those are real awards). He also received the Spencer Hansen award for most disappointing haircut performance when he played for the Bengals (yes, this is a real award, named for a horrendous trim I got the week before I got married).





8.3 McKay Jacobsen (drafted by Andrew Metcalf)

During a turkey bowl played on the confines of the new Granger football field, Devon "Lasersheep" Smith drew up a 4th down call. He, with a rifle like John Beck's, played QB, while  myself, possessing an ability to catch passes with one hand that even the holy AC would admire, played receiver. We had already overcome the obstacles of a snowy, early morning drive, a reduced number of comeptitors, and a football field that was walled off with  a locked gate (it's West Valley; if you don't illegally hop a fence to play Thanksgiving football, you're not doing it right). So no, we weren't worried on 4th down.

Devon Smith asked if I remembered the play where Max Hall hit McKay Jacobsen to beat Oklahoma. I said, "Uh duhhhh." So we ran it, step for step, and as my lawnmowing shoes found purchase in the snow so did Devon find me in the back of the endzone, alone, where he delivered a perfect TD strike.

McKay Jacobsen had a serviceable career. The TD catch against Oklahoma and the catch that set up Jonny Harline's winner against Utah remain enormous plays. But he never seemed as effective post-mission as he was pre-mission. Which brings up one of the great "What ifs" in recent BYU history.

What if McKay Jacobsen doesn't go on a mission? Suddenly the primary offensive weapons for the 2007 and 2008 seasons are Collie, Pitta, Unga, and Jacobsen, with Andrew George and Michael Reed making spot appearances. Under this scenario every receiver besides Collie slides one spot down the hierarchy, and now the 2007 offense doesn't need to rely on Matt Allen and the 2008 offense doesn't need to call on O'neill Chambers or Luke Ashworth. Instead McKay Jacobsen -- a primary weapon in his upperclassmen years -- is the 4th, I repeat 4th(!) option on these teams. OH. MY.

If McKay Jacobsen plays in '07 and '08 that's the best combination of offensive weapons at BYU ever, true?


8.4 Andrew Rich (Drafted by Brian Henderson, he who once helped me get a ticket to the 59-0 UCLA game)

For an analysis of this pick I defer to Bronco. This is what he said about Rich when he graduated:

"Until Andrew Rich, the best other safeties I ever coached were Brian Urlacher and Aaron Francisco. Andrew Rich is in that same trio now. Each have unique characteristics, but no one is tougher than Andrew, there's no one that is more committed. He just is an amazing leader and he cares so much. He's exactly what we want from a BYU football player. How he plays, how he conducts himself, who he is; I'll use him as an example from this point forward as long as I'm here at BYU. I'll ask my coaches, ‘does he play like Andrew Rich?'"

And now for more praise I defer to myself. This is what I said about Rich when he graduated:

"Playing like Andrew Rich means making a game-winning interception against UNLV in your defensive debut. It includes causing a game-changing fumble against Oklahoma in BYU's biggest win in some 19 years. It requires playing in every game of your career, despite injuries requiring ankle and shoulder surgery, not to mention an ailment your trainer describes as a "full body contusion". It means leading the team in tackles, interceptions and highlight hits not only as a senior but as a junior as well. It means you will cry in your final home game, the emotion of ending your career will be so heavy.

The list of big plays contributed by Rich could continue of course: a decapitation of Ute receiver Brandon Godfrey in 2008; a blocked field goal against New Mexico in 2009; a giant interception return against Utah in 2009; two picks against the Lobos in his final home game as a Cougar; two more intercepts against UTEP in his career finale."

Andrew Rich. Total stud.


8.5 Andy Boyce (drafted by Odyseuss)

So you're telling me the nerdy guy who chimes in occasionally on KSL radio played football for BYU? Wait he played with Ty Detmer? WAIT HE WAS GOOD?

In a million tries I wouldn't have guessed the guy who caught the most passes and recorded the most yards during the year Ty won the Heisman was Andy Boyce. It wasn't Bellini, Smith, or Drage? Seriously? You learn something new every day, or at least every day that you try and write a profile of 130 BYU players. 


8.6 Cameron Jensen (drafted by me)

In the modern era of BYU football there has been but one man to lead the Cougar defense in tackles for three consecutive years. I suspect no more needs to be said about The General.


8.7 Ben Cahoon (drafted by Tax Commissioner Danny)

Cahoon was such a prolific receiver during his pro days in Canada you might think his BYU career was equally dominant. Alas, he had one nice year in '97 and that's all she wrote. When Cahoon returned to Provo to coach the receivers he didn't exactly set the world on fire either. So what does it mean if you win back-to-back Outstanding Canadian awards as a pro but catch fewer passes at BYU than Ross Apo?

Some might say certain players develop and get better over time. I'm just gonna guess Canadian football is trash.


8.8 Nate Soelberg (drafted by Cousin Newt)

Cousin Newt drafts one of his high school pals and I fully support the move. Nate Soelberg was a burner, allegedly capable of running a 4.2 40-yard dash. I wish BYU would've kept him at receiver instead of converting him to a corner, because a trio of Collie-Watkins-Soelberg would've been something to see in 2004.

I also wish I'd have been a couple years older so I could've been Nate's friend and had some ties to BYU. I had to settle for knowing the younger sister. Prettier than Nate? Definitely. Connected to the BYU football team? Not so much.


8.9 Skipped (drafted by BRoyalBlueCoug)


8.10 Mark Atuaia (drafted by Jay Drew)

I didn't know you could major in traveling and tourism until I read Mark's profile. What does a tourism degree entail? But before I attempt any shade on Mr. Atuaia I must point out he graduated with a law degree from BYU in 2011 completing what must be an all-time scholastic about face. His playing career wasn't quite as interesting. Remember when we called Lakei Heimuli the rich mans JJ DiLuigi? Atuaia was the poor mans JJ DiLuigi. His best year came in '96 (649 rushing/receiving yards) which makes sense cause that seems to be everyone's best year, fans included.


Parting Thoughts from Round 8

Thought #1

I feel ashamed for not grabbing one of the Fahu-Soelberg Granger brothers. But there's still hope with Khyris Tonga!

Thought #2

Andrew Rich was so cool. He can kind of get lost in the Franciso, Nacua, Sorensen group of post-2000s safeties. But when that 2008 BYU defense was getting mauled to pieces, his arrival sparked the change that would pay dividends in 2009.

Thought #3

I missed this story when it originally happened, but Bronco once helped Juergens land a date?? What in the world. I'm surprised Bronco didn't follow the "I don't have to recruit them, they have to recruit me" philosophy when it came to female interactions. 


Round by Round Recap

No comments:

Post a Comment