new header

October 16, 2009

I, the Ingrate

September 19, 2009 was the day the dream died. I was there in the stadium, 25 rows from the field, viewing firsthand the castration unfold. Drive after drive, the Florida State Seminoles buried my hopes of a perfect BYU football season deeper into the ground. Following the loss, I was speechless for days.

I, the ingrate.

Am I foolish enough to forget that over the last three years BYU has posted back-to-back-to-back 10-win seasons, a feat the Cougs hadn't accomplished in 25 years?

Do I not realize that BYU has been in the top-25 for 28 consecutive weeks, a streak good enough for sixth best in the country trailing only super-powers Florida, Ohio St, USC, Texas, and Oklahoma?

Am I so stupid as to take BYU's superhuman play at home for granted? The Cougs have won 22 of their last 24 home games, including at one point a record stretch of 18-straight wins. They haven't lost a conference game at home since 2005 for crying out loud.

Since 2006 the Cougs have posted the sixth best record in all of college football, posting 32 wins against 7 losses and I am sad about one measly loss?

Shouldn't I be grateful that during the last three years I've been able to watch a group of the greatest BYU football players ever, including:

-BYU's number one tight end of all time (Dennis Pitta)

-their soon-to-be number one running back of all time (Harvey Unga)

-their undisputed number one receiver of all time (Austin Collie)


Now this was a trio

-their soon-to-be all time winningest qb, who doubles as their toughest qb of all time, who triples as their soon to be second all time leader in passing yards (Max Hall, he who hasn't missed a start in 32 games)

-five offensive lineman who didn't allow a sack until game 5 of 2008 or a holding penalty until the end of the 2008 season (Ray Feinga, Travis Bright, Matt Reynolds, Dallas Reynolds, David Oswald)

-the career sack leader in Mountain West Conference history (Jan Jorgensen)

Indeed, I lack gratitude. Forgive me, BYU football gods, for my foolery in disappointment.


It has been a privilege to follow your team these last few years.

1 comment:

  1. The day the dream died was October 16, 2008. :( (Although September 19, 2009, gets harder to forget each time Florida State plays football)
    -----------------------------------------------

    I do agree that the past few years have been great though, and I would't trade them. Bring on another conference championship and bowl win! It all starts Saturday...

    ReplyDelete