new header

August 12, 2019

On Bron

-- Naming kids remains a challenge


I'll admit there was a time I wasn't sure if I could name my kid after a black superstar. These are the collection of random thoughts and associations that persuaded me otherwise.

Bron means son of a dark man. This hilarious coincidence was the first strange tidbit that gave me confidence in the name.

Bron reminds me of Bronn, which reminds me of the greatest TV show I've ever seen. Also, Bronn had the greatest career path of anyone in the entire Thrones universe, moving up from lowly mercenary to Lord of Highgarden and Master of Coin! Among Thrones characters, this is probably one of the better to ... um ... have named your kid after.

Bron is a French neighborhood within the city of Lyon, which makes me think of the Uruguayan Lion, which is me, or was me before I got old, and maybe now should be him.

Bron makes me think of Lloyd Braun from Seinfeld, which makes me hope mothers around the neighborhood will remark on this version of Bron as George's mother did the Seinfeld version: "Why can't you be more like (Lloyd) Braun?" Of course, I also hope this version of Bron doesn't lose his mind and stuff dead people in his freezer.

Bron makes me think of Bronco Mendenha -- nope, no it doesn't.

Bron makes me think of Brown, which makes me think of that great time in college after a summer of getting sunned to death at Westridge when a girl thought I had turned into a Polynesian over the summer.

I also think of Wiggles Brown when I think of Brown and Bron, the codename of the master of Halo and the legend of Uncharted, running mate of one Climps. If that sentence doesn't make any sense to you, well it shouldn't.

Of course Bron mostly makes me think of The Bron. The visionary passer. The chase down block artist. The thunderous dunker. The usurper of the 73-win Warriors.

In a summer where the Warriors dynasty comes to its conclusion, I think back on that 2016 NBA Finals masterpiece.

Before LeBron overcame the 3-1 defecit in the 2016 Finals, the Warriors hadn't lost 3 games in a row in nearly three years. Then LeBron did this against the winningest team of all-time.

Game 5: 41 pts, 16 rebs, 7 assts, 3 stls, 3 blcks, on 53% (FG)/50% (3PM)/63% (FT)
Game 6: 41 pts, 8 rebs, 11 assts, 4 stls, 3 blcks, on 60% (FG)/50% (3PM)/75% (FT)
Game 7: 27 pts, 11 rebs, 11 assts, 2 stls, 3 blcks on 37% (FG)/20% (3PM)/80% (FT) and one game-winning block


They say LeBron is no Jordan. I agree. He's better. Also I like the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment